Re: HA and Replication - how to choose among all the available solutions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pascal Cohen
Subject Re: HA and Replication - how to choose among all the available solutions
Date
List pgsql-general
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 04:16:04PM +0100, Pascal Cohen wrote:
>
>> needs fast connections like fiber channels ? What is the impact on I/O
>> and general DB perfs ? - Sorry if my question is stupid - not an expert
>> on such things.
>> And I suppose it is not very cheap ;)
>>

> Well, if you think you're going to get high performance and super
> redundancy on cheap hardware, you need to think again.  ECC memory isn't
> cheap either, but if you care about your data, you have to decide whether
> it really needs to be protected.
>
> No, you don't necessarily need fibre.  Some people do this over copper-based
> LAN links.

That is not what I meant.
For example if my DB is 2Gb large, I probably don't need 32Gb RAM.
The same way, if I can get a fast and reliable system with copper based
LAN and not Fiber-Channel, this can save some money that can be used
somewhere else for better use (CPU/RAM for example).
Currently I am not concerned with prices. I am trying to gather as much
information as I can in order to be able to give good "recommendations"
or advices when I could be asked for.
So there are things I can test (mainly softwares) but testing hardware
is less easy.

Thanks

Pascal