Re: HA and Replication - how to choose among all the available solutions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: HA and Replication - how to choose among all the available solutions
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 04:16:04PM +0100, Pascal Cohen wrote:
> needs fast connections like fiber channels ? What is the impact on I/O
> and general DB perfs ? - Sorry if my question is stupid - not an expert
> on such things.
> And I suppose it is not very cheap ;)

Well, if you think you're going to get high performance and super
redundancy on cheap hardware, you need to think again.  ECC memory isn't
cheap either, but if you care about your data, you have to decide whether
it really needs to be protected.

No, you don't necessarily need fibre.  Some people do this over copper-based
LAN links.