Re: Feature request concerning postmaster log file. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zdenek Kotala
Subject Re: Feature request concerning postmaster log file.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> David BOURIAUD wrote:
>>> You can enable logging user name into postgres log and grep or some
>>> other text utility help you to generate required log file.
>>>
>> Thanks Zdenek for your answer.
>> I know what you answered me, but in certain cases, using a text
>> utility like grep is not suitable. I think of this when you get a many
>> hundreds of Mo logfile at least, or when you need to track commands
>> made by one peculiar user in real-time.
>> That's why I thought that having a possibility to specify how log
>> file(s) should be handled by postmaster could be of great help.
>> I suggested an option to have one file per user, but one could think
>> of having one file per IP address connected to the server, and so on.
>> The way samba log files can be handled could be a good starting point,
>> but I must admit that I don't have the programming skills required to
>> code any patch...
>
> I don't think we need to make our logging more clever than it already
> is, when there's plenty of existing software out there to do
> post-processing like that. For example, you could direct your logs to
> syslog, and let it handle it. I don't think the stock syslogd can do it,
> but for example with syslog-ng you could split logs based on regexp on
> the message content, like the username.

I agree with Heikki. And add some additional logging logic into postgres
could have some performance impact for every one. For tracking DTrace
could be good solution. It is now available on Solaris, FreeBSD and
MacOS. Currently there are not probes for your purpose, but if you
specify commonly usefull scenario we can implement related probes.
    Zdenek