Re: Test lab - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject Re: Test lab
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
>> My question is -hackers, is who wants first bite and what do they
>> want :)
>
> Something I'd like to have back real soon is the daily DBT run against
> CVS HEAD that Mark Wong was doing at OSDL.  Maybe we don't need a
> particularly enormous machine for that, but comparable runs day after
> day are real nice for noting when patches had unexpected performance
> impacts...

yeah I think we really need some sort of continous benchmarking over a
longer period of time(ie make a benchfarm which might the next step
after the success of the buildfarm).
Right now we only have more or less sporadic testing done by different
people on different hardware configurations mostly done during BETA or
after large patches landed which might hide regressions for a long time.
So my vote would be to dedicate at least one box in the test lab to this
"long term performance tracking" project and have it run whatever
benchmarks we can come up with (there is the various dbt
workloads,sysbench, jans tpc-w implementation, hell even pgbench)
continously and without changing the configuration/setup much.

Stefan