Migration questions for upcoming 8.3 release and fts - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Travers
Subject Migration questions for upcoming 8.3 release and fts
Date
Re: Migration questions for upcoming 8.3 release and fts  (Andy <nospam@noplace.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hi all;

I know -hackers is the preferred place to discuss beta releases, but I
suspect that this is a further-reaching wuestion among the general
community than is typical so I am posting it here.

I have been looking at the changes expected for 8.3 and have noticed
that tsearch2 has been modified and merged with core.  I think this is a
great idea, but it poses problems for applications which must run both
both on 8.2 and 8.3 with fts capabilities.

I am trying to determine the best way forward so that LedgerSMB can
support 8.3 as soon as it is released.  Reading through various email
list archives it looks like the function names have changed.  I guess I
am trying to determine the best way forward.

1)  How safe is it likely to be to create a set of functions in 8.3
which mimic 8.2/tsearch2 interfaces?  Is this likely to create any
serious conflicts?   Would such a project be sufficiently useful that a
pg_foundry project might be helpful?

2)  If this is a problem, is the community interested in (possibly as a
pg-foundry project) an abstraction layer for supporting both sets of
interfaces?

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers