Re: DRBD and Postgres: how to improve the perfomance? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject Re: DRBD and Postgres: how to improve the perfomance?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> That chance is minuscule or at least should be. Of course we are
>>> assuming some level of conditioned power that is independent of the
>>> power bus, e.g; a UPS.
>> how is that making it different in practise ? - if both are on the same
>> UPS they are affectively on the same power bus ...
>
> Well I was thinking the bus that is in the wall. I would assume that
> people were smart enough to have independent UPS systems for each server.
>
> city power->line conditioning generator->panel->plug->UPS->server
>
> wash, rinse repeat.

the typical datacenter version of this is actually more like:

city power->UPS (with generator in parallel)->panel->plug

or

city power->flywheel->(maybe UPS)->panel->plug

it is not really that common to have say two different UPS feeds in your
rack (at least not for normal housing or the average corporate
datacenter) - mostly you get two feeds from different power distribution
panels (so different breakers) but that's about it.
Having a local UPS attached is usually not really that helpful either
because those have limited capacity need space and are an additional
thing that can (and will) fail.

Stefan