Re: [CORE] Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL) - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: [CORE] Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Tom Lane wrote:

> I'll confine my reply to one point: do you have any idea what will
> happen if I try to change the default PGDATA location on Red Hat
> from /var/lib/pgsql to something else?

This seems 100% orthogonal to the naming conversation.

Unless, perhaps Red Hat was in the middle of an
expensive migration to  /var/lib/PostgreSQL
that noone told their customers about.

If you wanted, a completely separate conversation could
be whether distros should convert various less common
short form (like pgsql) to some set of brand names - but
I think both the PostgreSQL and Postgres and even Postgre
advocates would say it's silly to rename pgsql to any
of those 3 terms.