Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL) - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Chris Mair
Subject Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
>> Non-English Groups
>> ------------------
>> I've carefully read all the objections, including those of the non-English
>> PG organizations. But I don't believe anyone against this proposal mentioned
>> that Alvaro strongly supported the name change from his (Spanish)
>> perspective.
>
> Yes but the current Spanish community versus the current Italian, French
> and Japanese communities is a different matter in terms of size and
> activity.

You're putting this as if there had been an official vote against the change
by the Italian, French and Japanese communities. This is not the case -
or at least I'm sure it's not the case for the Italian community, which I'm part
of.

I'd say core should vote: if they don't do anything now the topic will come up
every 6 months from now on. If they vote the rest of us will accept any outcome
(except postgre ;).

After reading the different arguments, personally, now I'd go with Postgres,
low-profile change, not at a major release and - as Gabriele suggested - with
some heads-up time ahead for the community (so nobody does a conference with the
wrong title because they didn't know).

Bye,
Chris.