Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL) - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 9/1/2007 7:02 PM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> PostgreSQL is the *formal name*, while Postgres is the *trade name* ... call it
> whichever you want, people will know what you are talking about ... get over it.

I could get over it, if this topic as well as the ugly Postgre sh*t it
causes as a side effect would ever stop popping up. But it seems to me
however often we "get over it", the problem only submerges to pop up
again for the next release. Could it be that "getting over it" is kinda
like playing ostrich - AGAIN, and that the numerous times we "got over
it" only made the situation worse by reinforcing a mistake made long ago?

I suggest we someday stop "getting over it" and instead "get done with
it". Because rest assured, otherwise it'll be back again ... and again.

Jan