Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL) - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> In summary, looking at possible conclusions to this discussion, I think
> we have:
>
>     1) No change
>     2) Emphasize "Postgres" more as an alternative
>     3) Change the name to "PostgresQL"
>     4) Change the name to "Postgres QL"
>     5) Change the name to "Postgres"
>
> I think we have already done #2 in FAQ item #1, so one approach would be
> to choose #3 and see how we like it.

I wouldn't say we've done #2.

A variation of #2 would be to emphasize it much *much* *MUCH* more.

Just as IBM uses the term "IBM" much more than the cumbersome
"International Business Machines Corporation" - the project could
move to using "Postgres" almost everywhere -- Home Page,
Documentation, Press Releases, Logos, etc.  The move could
be gradual, as I expect IBM's was.

The cumbersome long form could still exist; but would be only
used about as much as IBM uses their cumbersome long-form.