Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL) - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Ron Peterson
Subject Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
2007-08-30_15:38:34-0400 Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>:

> Let me ask a question, how many people who are against a name change now
> think we should have done it before we released 8.0?

I would keep the name PostgreSQL then, now, and in the future.  I happen
to like it.  I probably pronounce it wrong, too.  So what?

As for the alleged pronunciation challenges, I think think they're
exaggerated, and not really that important.  At the very least, if
that's the only argument, I think we need more than anectodal opinion to
conclude that it's a real problem.  First we hear that it's well nigh
impossible to say the word in Italian and other foreign languages, but
we see an Italian and Frenchman saying that a name change will be a
PITA.  Hardly a ringing confirmation of the foreign language problem.
And what about other foreign languages?

Prince didn't have a name at all for a while, just a symbol.  He seemed
to make out alright.  ;)

I suppose you could also say changing his identity didn't hurt him any.
Well hurumph on me.

Call the database PostgreSQL, and call the organization Postgres?  The
organization as a whole outputs more than just the PostgreSQL database,
doesn't it?  (thank goodness you can't throw fruit on the internet
.. but I'm going to duck anyway)

--
Ron Peterson
https://www.yellowbank.com/