Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL) - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Neil Conway wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-28-08 at 11:15 -0400, Robert Bernier wrote:
>> How many people feel we should adopt 'postgres' for the '9.0'
>> reference documentation (let's leave the issue of the tons of work
>> involved out of the debate for the moment)?
>
> +1 -- I think we should make the name change, but I don't have any
> strong preference about when we ought to do it (now, for 8.3, for 8.4,
> etc -- I wouldn't necessarily want to wait for some far-off theoretical
> 9.0 release).

+1.

Decoupling it from a major release and doing at
8.3.1 might be best.

If there'll be a transition period where both "PostgreSQL"
and "Postgres" are acceptable anyway - there's no need that
it has to be tied to a major release; and this way core can
stay focused on the technology during the release period.