Re: Status of 8.3 patches - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Status of 8.3 patches
Date
Re: Status of 8.3 patches  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
Re: Status of 8.3 patches  (ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki.takahiro@oss.ntt.co.jp>)
Re: Status of 8.3 patches  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
>   o  Automatic adjustment of bgwriter_lru_maxpages
>
>      We show this as waiting for performance results.  I am thinking we
>      should hold this for 8.4.

Agreed. I spent close to a week trying different benchmarks and
configurations and simple test cases on a test server and my laptop, and
couldn't demonstrate bgwriter making a positive impact in any
configuration I tried. The theory behind the patch is sound, but it
looks like a lot more testing and analysis is needed.

>   o  Error correction for n_dead_tuples
>
>      This shows as waiting on another patch.  Again, I am thinking to
>      keep it for 8.4.

It was waiting on the "vacuum oldestxmin" patch, which didn't make it to
8.3. I don't care for the patch myself, but it was submitted well before
feature freeze and deserves a review. It looks good to me at first glance.