Re: change name of redirect_stderr? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: change name of redirect_stderr?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>>> The problem here is that "log" seems to be a verb in "log_collector"
>>> which is what makes it confusing.  So we need another verb to make it
>>> clear that "log" is not one.  This is not a problem with "autovacuum"
>>> because that one cannot be confused with a verb.
>>>
>>> start_log_collector still gets my vote.
>>>
>> I vote against.  Remember that some people look at the GUCs in alpha order
>> from pg_settings.  As such, if we're changing GUC names it ought to be in a
>> way that groups logically if we can.
>>

> Should we change the ordering of pg_settings?

Yeah, this is not a good reason for deciding a naming issue.

If we really want thematic collection of GUC vars then we should arrange
for some sort of hierarchical naming, and appropriate sectioning of the
config file.

cheers

andrew