Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL: fight - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Lukas Kahwe Smith
Subject Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL: fight
Date
Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL: fight
List pgsql-advocacy
Shashank Tripathi wrote:
> On 04/08/07, Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> wrote:
>> With much appreciated contributions from others including Chris Browne in
>> particular, I've now finished up the original scope of what I wanted to
>> cover on this topic:
>>
>> http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Why_PostgreSQL_instead_of_MySQL
>>
>> I tried to keep the text punchy by hitting the important points and
>> leaning heavily on references in lieu of trying to include all the details
>> in the document.
>

> A relatively big plus for MySQL in serious environments is replication
> and the whole MySQL Cluster bit. There are some promising tools such
> as pgpool-II - http://snipr.com/1p518 - but it would be useful to see
> something similar come bundled with PostgreSQL that I could install as
> an option. Unless I am missing something..

While we are on it, MySQL has much better charset support as well. They
also have automatic support for updateable views (I know you can achieve
the same with manual definition of rules).

Oh and their multi threaded nature seems to make their life a lot harder
when they add new features. InnoDB has scaling issues with more CPU's
and they do not have custom datatype support nor CHECK constraints.

Phew, this can go on for a while :)

regards,
Lukas