Re: script binaries renaming - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Zdenek Kotala
Subject Re: script binaries renaming
Date
List pgsql-patches
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Zdenek Kotala wrote:
>> I attach complete patch which renames following binaries
>>
>> createdb createlang createuser dropdb droplang dropuser clusterdb
>> vacuumdb reindexdb

>> pg_createdb pg_createlang pg_createuser pg_dropdb pg_droplang
>> pg_dropuser pg_clusterdb pg_vacuumdb pg_reindexdb
>>
>> Symlinks (or copy on win32) are created for backward compatibility.
>>
>> This renaming was discussed there:
>>
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-06/msg00145.php
>>
>> I create also separate unified patch for documentation.
>
> A couple of comments:
>
> Do we actually need to remove and recreate the documentation files?
> Can't we keep the source files and just have it generate the man pages
> and other references with the outputname pg_xyz?

I used postmaster/postgresql as a pattern for makefile and documentation
changes.

> Should we be installing symlinks or at least a placeholder manpage for
> the old commandnames (maybe a single man page for all the old commands
> saying "prefix pg_ to get this command") the same way it's done for the
> binaries? (my apologies if it already does this, I don't know exactly
> how the man pages are generated from the sgml. I just noticed there was
> no makefile modified in the docs area)

I'm not guru on documentation building, but there are driver files which
contains list of files - see reference.sgml and ref/allfiles.sgml.

I copied decription from current pages to new pg_* files. In old files I
only keep mention that it is obsolete command. See postmaster
documentation.

> I'm also not sure we really should install copies on win32. Given how
> seldom these commands are actually used on windows (most people really
> use pgadmin to do these things).

Postmaster does same thing.

> Also, your patch does not touch the msvc buildsystem, which will still
> be generating files with the old name.

Hmm. I do not nothing about it :(. I need help there.

        Thank for your comments

            Zdenek