Re: Performance query about large tables, lots of concurrent access - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Karl Wright
Subject Re: Performance query about large tables, lots of concurrent access
Date
Re: Performance query about large tables, lots of concurrent access  (Michael Stone <mstone+postgres@mathom.us>)
List pgsql-performance
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> Karl Wright wrote:
>> Scott Marlowe wrote:

>>> So, have you ever run vacuum full or reindex on this database?
>>>

>> No.  However, this database has only existed since last Thursday
>> afternoon.
> Well, a couple of dozen update statements with no where clause on large
> tables could bloat it right up.
>
> It's not about age so much as update / delete patterns.
>>
>>> You are aware of the difference between how vacuum and vacuum full
>>> work, right?
>>>
>>> vacuum := mark deleted tuples as available, leave in table
>>> vacuum full := compact tables to remove deleted tuples.
>>>
>>> While you should generally avoid vacuum full, if you've let your
>>> database get so bloated that the majority of space in your tables is
>>> now empty / deleted tuples, you likely need to vacuuum full / reindex
>>> it.
>>>
>> If the database is continually growing, should VACUUM FULL be necessary?
> If it's only growing, with no deletes or updates, then no.  Generally,
> on a properly vacuumed database, vacuum full should never be needed.
>>> For instance, on my tiny little 31 Gigabyte reporting database, the
>>> main table takes up about 17 Gigs.  This query gives you some idea
>>> how many bytes each row is taking on average:
>>>
>>> select relname, relpages::float*8192 as size, reltuples,
>>> (relpages::double precision*8192)/reltuples::double precision as
>>> bytes_per_row from pg_class where relname = 'businessrequestsummary';
>>>        relname         |    size     |  reltuples  |  bytes_per_row
>>> ------------------------+-------------+-------------+-----------------
>>> businessrequestsummary | 17560944640 | 5.49438e+07 | 319.61656229454
>>>
>>> Note that these numbers are updated by running analyze...
>>>
>>> What does it say about your DB?
>>>

>> I wish I could tell you.  Like I said, I had to abandon this project
>> to test out an upgrade procedure involving pg_dump and pg_restore.
>> (The upgrade also seems to take a very long time - over 6 hours so
>> far.) When it is back online I can provide further information.
>
> Well, let us know.  I would definitely recommend getting more / faster
> disks.  Right now I've got a simple 4 disk RAID10 on the way to replace
> the single SATA drive I'm running on right now.  I can't wait.

I checked the disk picture - this is a RAID disk array with 6 drives,
with a bit more than 1Tbyte total storage.  15,000 RPM.  It would be
hard to get more/faster disk than that.

Karl