Re: Performance query about large tables, lots of concurrent access - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Karl Wright
Subject Re: Performance query about large tables, lots of concurrent access
Date
List pgsql-performance
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Karl Wright wrote:
>> Alvaro Herrera wrote:

>>> You didn't answer whether you had smaller, more frequently updated
>>> tables that need more vacuuming.  This comment makes me think you do.  I
>>> think what you should be looking at is whether you can forget vacuuming
>>> the whole database in one go, and make it more granular.
>> I am afraid that I did answer this.  My largest tables are the ones
>> continually being updated.  The smaller ones are updated only infrequently.
>
> Can you afford to vacuum them in parallel?

Hmm, interesting question.  If VACUUM is disk limited then it wouldn't
help, probably, unless I moved various tables to different disks
somehow.  Let me think about whether that might be possible.

Karl