Re: [pgsql-advocacy] [PERFORM] [ADMIN] Postgres VS Oracle - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] [PERFORM] [ADMIN] Postgres VS Oracle
Date
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] [PERFORM] [ADMIN] Postgres VS Oracle  ("Jonah H. Harris" <jonah.harris@gmail.com>)
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] [PERFORM] [ADMIN] Postgres VS Oracle  (Guy Rouillier <guyr-ml1@burntmail.com>)
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] [PERFORM] [ADMIN] Postgres VS Oracle  (Carol Walter <walterc@indiana.edu>)
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] [PERFORM] [ADMIN] Postgres VS Oracle  (Jim Nasby <decibel@decibel.org>)
List pgsql-general
Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> On 6/18/07, Andreas Kostyrka <andreas@kostyrka.org> wrote:
>> As a cynic, I might ask, what Oracle is fearing?
>
> As a realist, I might ask, how many times do we have to answer this
> type of anti-commercial-database flamewar-starting question?

Depends? How many times are you going to antagonize the people that ask?

1. It has *nothing* to do with anti-commercial. It is anti-proprietary
which is perfectly legitimate.

2. Oracle, Microsoft, and IBM have a "lot" to fear in the sense of a
database like PostgreSQL. We can compete in 90-95% of cases where people
would traditionally purchase a proprietary system for many, many
thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of dollars.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/