Re: Running v8.1 amd v8.2 at the same time for a transition - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Running v8.1 amd v8.2 at the same time for a transition
Date
List pgsql-general
Hannes Dorbath wrote:
> Running 2 PG instances is a trivial thing to do. It requires a quick
> look at the PostgreSQL documentation to find out that:

> But instead people spend their time on going out and ask how to use some
> poor wrappers, their distribution provides. Probably this has costed
> them more time than a look in the PG documentation.

I think the point of the Debian (and hence ubuntu) wrappers is to let
the *packaging system* install and run two or more concurrent
installations. Otherwise there's no way to upgrade from one edition of
Debian to another and take your databases with you.

Now, I find the Debian approach complicated and fiddly, but I suspect
that's because what it's doing is complicated and fiddly.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd