Re: Running v8.1 amd v8.2 at the same time for a transition - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vincenzo Romano
Subject Re: Running v8.1 amd v8.2 at the same time for a transition
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday 06 June 2007 11:05:00 Hannes Dorbath wrote:
> Running 2 PG instances is a trivial thing to do. It requires a quick
> look at the PostgreSQL documentation to find out that:
>
> - The port is defined in postgresql.conf
> - pg_ctl -D defines what cluster to work on
> - The switch for the port in psql is -p

You also could need to run the proper client application.

> But instead people spend their time on going out and ask how to use some
> poor wrappers, their distribution provides. Probably this has costed
> them more time than a look in the PG documentation.

The actual fault was mine plus a lack into the manpages.

The mechanism could be complicated, but if the needed documentation
is up to date and complete, I suspect that a number of people can
live with it.

--
Vincenzo Romano