My quick and dirty "solution" (Re: Performance Problem with Vacuum of bytea table (PG 8.0.13)) - Mailing list pgsql-performance

No, this did not help. The vacuum process is still running far too long
and makes everything slow. It is even worse than before, cause now the
system is slow almost all the time while when vacuuming only every 3
hours it is only slow once every three hours.....

I now did the following. Well, no comment.....

Shellscript A:

while true
do
    psql -U $user -d $database -c "vacuum analyze verbose binary_cache"
    echo "Going to sleep"
    sleep 60
done

Shellscript B:

while true
do
        ps aux > $tempfile
        numwaiting=`grep UPDATE.waiting $tempfile | grep -c -v grep`
        echo "Number of waiting updates: $numwaiting"

        vacuumpid=`grep VACUUM $tempfile| grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'`
        echo "PID of vacuum process: $vacuumpid"

        if [ $numwaiting -gt 5 ]
        then
                echo "Too many waiting transactions, killing vacuum
process $vacuumpid..."
                kill $vacuumpid
        fi
        echo "Sleeping 30 Seconds"