Re: Performance Problem with Vacuum of bytea table (PG 8.0.13) - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Performance Problem with Vacuum of bytea table (PG 8.0.13)
Date
List pgsql-performance
Bastian Voigt wrote:
> Richard Huxton wrote:
>>
>> I was about to say that you can tune pg_autovacuum, but I just checked
>> your original post and you're running 8.0.x - not sure about that one.
> The system catalog pg_autovacuum which allows finetuning autovacuum at
> table level was introduced in 8.1 :-(

Hmm - thought it might have been :-(

>> You'll have to check the documentation for that version to see if you
>> can either:
>> 1. exclude that table from pg_autovacuum
>> 2. increase pg_autovacuum's sensitivity
> (1) seems to be impossible (correct me if I'm wrong..), so maybe I'll go
> for (2) ...

No, the per-table stuff was via the system table.

>> If not, and this table is the most active, it might be simpler just to
>> run your own vacuum-ing from a cron job.
> Well, it is one of the most active, but there are others. pg_autovacuum
> seems to do a very good job, apart from this one table...

Do you have any settings in your postgresql.conf? Failing that, you
would have to poke around the source.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd