Re: Event Spam..??? - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Chander Ganesan
Subject Re: Event Spam..???
Date
List pgsql-www
Dave Page wrote: <blockquote cite="mid4644BECC.20908@postgresql.org" type="cite"><pre wrap="">Chander Ganesan wrote:
</pre><blockquotetype="cite"><pre wrap="">I see your point.  However, perhaps there is some other mechanism or

restriction that can be put in place to limit the likelihood of this
(one course of one type per month, a limitation on annual courses
listed, or a "per listing" fee charged to not-for-free companies)?  Such
restrictions would at least limit abuse to some extent..  Or perhaps
limiting listed courses to states where companies are registered as
corporations...   Such information is freely available, and it could be
required that companies provide a link to their articles of
incorporation in the states where they provide training - easy to check
Limiting the number of listings is not in our interests - we want to
show how much PostgreSQL is being used. Perhaps more importantly, how
*widely*. We'd want to list courses running in every state, even if they
were all the same company.</pre></blockquote> However, corporate marketing is not a quantifiable metric as to usage.
I'dargue that the number of courses offered has no bearing on how widely or how much PostgreSQL is being used.<br
/><blockquotecite="mid4644BECC.20908@postgresql.org" type="cite"><pre wrap="">Charging would almost certainly cause us
problemsgiven our financial

status. I suspect we could 'solicit donations', but that would obviously
not have the desired effect. </pre></blockquote> Charging (or requiring a sizable donation to get "front page" status)
wouldprovide a commercial entity an incentive to offer genuine events.  We already make fairly regular donations
throughSPI (btw, I was told there would be a donors page at some point...any ideas as to when that might appear?), and
Idoubt that any commercial organization that makes a profit from PG would be loathe to donate 50% of the "per-head
cost"for 1 student or something along those lines for each event listed....especially when they expect that they'll run
aclass with a lot more than a single student. <br /><blockquote cite="mid4644BECC.20908@postgresql.org"
type="cite"><prewrap="">Limiting to the states in which companies are registered is a nonsense

as well - what about a company in Japan? How do we check them? Or what
about EnterpriseDB UK Ltd for example who cover the whole EMEA region -
would they (== we in case you didn't realise I work for them) be
restricted to listing courses in England because that's where we're
cite="mid4644BECC.20908@postgresql.org"type="cite"><pre wrap="">

Don't misunderstand - I'm not trying to dodge the issue. I just don't
think there's a straightforward solution :-(
competitive then it results in a reduction in the usefulness of the
tool.  One could argue that removing it entirely to prevent abuse would
be less disruptive than having PG related companies flounder due to the
Let's remember that there are no proven 'bad citizens'. Unless that
should change, for you to 'take the same action' would mean scheduling
cols="72">ChanderGanesan

Open Technology Group, Inc.
One Copley Parkway, Suite 210
Morrisville, NC  27560
Phone: 877-258-8987/919-463-0999</pre><br /><blockquote cite="mid4644BECC.20908@postgresql.org" type="cite"><pre
wrap="">
TIP 1: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate      subscribe-nomail command to <a
class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"href="mailto:majordomo@postgresql.org">majordomo@postgresql.org</a> so that your
messagecan get through to the mailing list cleanly </pre></blockquote>