Re: Acces via applets - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Reid Thompson
Subject Re: Acces via applets
Date
List pgsql-general
Marc wrote:

what version of PostgreSQL?
what version of the jdbc driver?

> The bottom line question is can an applet served to a client machine
> other than the one the postrgres db resides on read that db?

I can't see why not.

> An applet I’ve written and tested on the same box as my database runs
> fine.
>
> When I try running the applet from another computer on the network I
> get an error trying to access the database.

what error?
Turn on appropriate logging for PostgreSQL and then what does the
PostgreSQL log show?

> Even when I added the ip of that computer to the pg_hba.conf it still
> didn’t work.

did you restart?

> Why does an applet served to the same box as the db work, but when
> served to another box not work?

need more/better info.

> Is there a configuration setting I’m missing or is this simply not
> possible?

configuration => perhaps
not possible => no, it's possible

> The applet has been self signed.using the java’s keytool and jarsigner
> programs.
>
> I’ve had this same setup working with SQL Server for years now.
>
> Self signed applet reads db on separate box.
>
> What is going on with PostgreSQL?

What is going on with PostgreSQL? => likely nothing.

> Sorry for rambling, I’m just so frustrated right now.

Please provide more detailed information...