Re: Joining the team - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Joining the team
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Alex Pilosov <alex@pilosoft.com> writes:
> You usually start out as a user, find out the development environment,
> etc, etc, use it for your project, then you find that there are few things
> about a project that really make you itch. Then you scratch that itch, and
> hopefully send your patch to the team. :)

Right.  Another comment is that there is no "required development
environment".  Ideally Postgres should run on pretty nearly any Unix-ish
operating system and pretty nearly any ANSI-C-ish compiler and C
library.  So use whatever floats your boat.  If things don't work
nicely, then you've got your first project: port to your preferred
platform.  I know one of the first things I had to do when I started
using Postgres was clean up some problems with its portability to HPUX.