Re: Current enums patch - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Current enums patch
Date
List pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:

> While all this reasoning is perfectly OK on its own terms, it ignores
> the precedents of SQL identifier handling.  Maybe we should revisit the
> question of whether the labels are identifiers.

If we do that can we still cache the values in the syscache? My
impression from what you and TomD said was that it would be at least
more difficult. If it's possible I'm all in favor.

(Side note: ISTM there is a pretty good case to move the truncation code
from the lexer to the parser where it can be invoked according to
context. Maybe something to think about next cycle.).

cheers

andrew