Re: unexpected data beyond EOF and character encoding - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject Re: unexpected data beyond EOF and character encoding
Date
List pgsql-general
Jaime Silvela wrote:
> I completed another migration from 8.1.3 to 8.2.3, and again the problem
> with "unexpected data beyond EOF", exactly twice like before, but in two
> tables different from the last time.
> The kernel bug hypothesis seems a strong one. I told Unix Ops about the
> possible bug, and one of the guys said 2.6.5-7.244 was well known to be
> trouble on our hardware. We should be upgrading soon. I'll try to get
> more info regarding the particular Linux bug.

2.6.5-7.244 looks like an older SLES kernel which makes this bug
suspicially look like one we got reported a while ago:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2006-09/msg00092.php

and toms analysis:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-09/msg01899.php

Stefan