Re: Patch queue concern - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Carlo Florendo
Subject Re: Patch queue concern
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Gregory Stark wrote:
> "Bruce Momjian" <bruce@momjian.us> writes:
> That's silly, of course people are still working on them, many of these tasks
> are open ended and can be improved as long as we have time. just because
> they're still working on them doesn't necessarily mean what they have so far
> isn't worth committing as is yet.
>
>> OK, but we don't want something that is ready to be committed, we need
>> it complete.
>
> So how many more releases before you think Postgres is "complete"?

You are using the word complete as in final and unalterable.  That's not,
it seems to me, what Bruce means.  Bruce has a point, and a valid and
sensible one at that.

A patch that is ready to be committed does not mean it is usable.  Just
because you can commit a patch does not mean that the patch will be useful.

Well, if a patch author has promised to supply a patch for the X function,
and has not completed a stable and generally usable patch for X, then the
patch is not worth committing.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Carlo

--
Carlo Florendo
Softare Engineer/Network Co-Administrator

--
The Astra Group of Companies
5-3-11 Sekido, Tama City