Re: OS timezone files support - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Zdenek Kotala
Subject Re: OS timezone files support
Date
List pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
> Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek.Kotala@Sun.COM> writes:
>> This patch brings possibility to switch from default build-in timezone
>> to another timezone source - typically to OS timezone location.
>
>> It was discussed few weeks ago:
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-03/msg00784.php
>
> AFAIR, the conclusion of that discussion was we didn't want it.

I'm sorry, but I don't think that the thread has clear conclusion.

> I certainly don't see the point of the implementation as you have it
> --- it adds a great deal of unnecessary infrastructure compared to just
> installing a symlink at share/postgresql/timezone.

The point of my solution is that all packagers who interested in use
only configure switch instead of playing with link integration. In this
case, Packager also must cleanup build-in timezones after make install.
This is not only about add one line into spec file.

There is also big risk that new version of package which will delivery
timezones can replace system file zone information and it damages a system.

I discussed it with gatekeepers which are responsible for patch
preparation and they afraid about future problems with link solution
(based on experience with another sw integration).

    with regards Zdenek