Re: Grouped Index Tuples / Clustered Indexes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Grouped Index Tuples / Clustered Indexes
Date
Re: Grouped Index Tuples / Clustered Indexes  ("Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Gregory Stark wrote:
>> On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 10:32 +0000, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>>> I've been thinking
>>> we should call this feature just Clustered Indexes
>
> So we would have "clustered tables" which are tables whose heap is ordered
> according to an index and separately "clustered indexes" which are indexes
> optimized for such tables?

Yes, that's what I was thinking.

There's a third related term in use as well. When you issue CLUSTER, the
table will be clustered on an index. And that index is then the "index
the table is clustered on". That's a bit cumbersome but that's the
terminology we're using at the moment. Maybe we should to come up with a
new term for that to avoid confusion..