ftell mismatch with expected position - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Muszynski
Subject ftell mismatch with expected position
Date
List pgsql-general
I found this thread (I'm posting here because I'm not subscribed to
Hackers)
http://www.mail-archive.com/pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org/msg85241.html

which seems to be talking about this issue. I'm just wondering what the
current status on this is. Someone I know is getting this error -(I'm not
100% sure what version he's running other than it's an 8.2 series,
although I am finding out. And yes it's definitely on Windows).

Does he have to wait until 8.3? Will it be fixed in 8.3? Or is it fixed in
the latest release?

Any suggestions for a workaround? (I told him he can generate a Plain
backup and compress the result using zip, rar, etc - will this work?)

TIA
-jcm