Re: Simple Column reordering - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Simple Column reordering
Date
Re: Simple Column reordering  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Folks, how can we entertain ideas that would break SELECT * and
> no-column-list INSERTs for a small performance boost?  If there was no
> other way to get the performance boost, and the features was rarely
> used, we might consider such a change, but neither is true in this case.
>
> My point is that this proposal is so far away from our acceptable
> criteria that I am worried about how people are analyzing proposals.

In Simon's defense, I think we need to feel free to brainstorm a bit,
and propose things that might seem odd. There are plenty of cool heads
around to shoot down bad ideas, but we'll only make progress by
cherry-picking the good ideas. If one out of ten of my ideas is useful I
think I'm doing really well.

cheers

andrew