Re: Simple Column reordering - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Simple Column reordering
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > Folks, how can we entertain ideas that would break SELECT * and
> > no-column-list INSERTs for a small performance boost?  If there was no
> > other way to get the performance boost, and the features was rarely
> > used, we might consider such a change, but neither is true in this case.
> >
> > My point is that this proposal is so far away from our acceptable
> > criteria that I am worried about how people are analyzing proposals.
> >

> In Simon's defense, I think we need to feel free to brainstorm a bit,
> and propose things that might seem odd. There are plenty of cool heads
> around to shoot down bad ideas, but we'll only make progress by
> cherry-picking the good ideas. If one out of ten of my ideas is useful I
> think I'm doing really well.

Agreed.  I just wanted to make sure we still have the same criteria. The
fact the proposal was explored just got me worried.  I will go back to
not worrying.  ;-)

--  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>          http://momjian.us EnterpriseDB
http://www.enterprisedb.com