Re: Jav Database Performance - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Markus Schiltknecht
Subject Re: Jav Database Performance
Date
Re: Jav Database Performance  (Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de>)
List pgsql-advocacy
Hi,

Walter Cruz wrote:
> Have anyone seen this?
>
> http://devloop.org.uk/documentation/database-performance/

Looks like a good, well documented benchmark. Was well worth the read.
Probably even more if you're more into Java than I am.

What's surprising me is, that PostgreSQL often was 'only marginally
slower' compared to MySQL. First, I thought: wow, MySQL must have
improved. But later on, I've read that they tested the MyISAM storage
engine. Thus, I'm surprised that

  a) they perform only marginally better, and

  b) that the results are so close and similar.

I can only conclude, that PostgreSQL does a very well job in keeping the
costs of consistency very low. ;-)

Regards

Markus