Re: Proposal for Implenting read-only queries during wal replay (SoC 2007) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Proposal for Implenting read-only queries during wal replay (SoC 2007)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> He already did over a year and half research on the subject, wrote the
> code for it, published a paper on it, and offered it to the community.
> Why would he choose to spend more time getting beaten up for
> something that's already behind him?

If he is not willing to proceed with public debate, I fail to see the
purpose in doing the work at all.

> Perhaps you don't recall.. but his design and research was far more
> than almost all other PostgreSQL features.  The only one longer was
> perhaps the HOT design.

Hmmm and look at HOT. That would be an example of how it *should* be
done. HOT has been a constant influx of WIP patches and discussion *to
the community* and thusly to rounding out nicely to be a great feature.

Full Disjunctions did not do that.

>> For the record, I like the idea of full disjunctions but they must past
>> quality muster to be included in the community.
>
> Again, he offered to fix anything anyone had issues with... but people

Then why didn't he fix them? There were specific problems people had.

> were too busy whining about the feature itself than to provide sound
> advice for moving forward.

Guess we will have to agree to disagree. That is not my recollection of
the events on any level.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997            http://www.commandprompt.com/