Re: Proposal for Implenting read-only queries during wal replay (SoC 2007) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Proposal for Implenting read-only queries during wal replay (SoC 2007)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> On 2/23/07, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> A good example of the wrong way to do it is the Full Disjunctions
>> project. Great idea, Great project, not bitrot and hard space because it
>> hasn't been touched or maintained sense release.
>
> Don't get me started there.  The decision was split between PostgreSQL
> core 50/50 for inclusion in contrib, yet it was not included.

The argument for not including it was valid, it didn't adhere on several
levels including code style and grammatical changes.

The point is, if the author would have done the project in public, the
problem wouldn't have happen.

> As I
> said at the time, people will move on and the project would go to
> pgfoundry (which I called the graveyard) and die;

I would say that is the author's fault. There are plenty of extremely
vibrant and lively developed projects on pgfoundry.

>which is exactly
> what happened.  And, in the Full Disjunctions project's defense, the
> community was wholly at fault.  He posted several times for
> suggestions and most of the community responses were, "why would we
> care about or want that."

Yes *some* of the community didn't understand it but there were others
in the community who made a specific effort to explain why it was good,
including Josh Berkus.

> The community can't rely on contributors, especially students, to
> spend months of their time pushing ideas through a gauntlet of
> negativity.

Someone who wants to provide a feature to the community can't expect the
community just to open their arms without explanation and full
discussion of a feature.

You don't honestly expect a mature open source project to just accept
any code do you?

For the record, I like the idea of full disjunctions but they must past
quality muster to be included in the community.

Joshua D. Drake

Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997            http://www.commandprompt.com/