Re: Modifying and solidifying contrib - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Modifying and solidifying contrib
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Nikolay Samokhvalov wrote:

> I still do not understand why is it so needed.
> Your argument is "some apps aren't able to call functions as
> schemaname.functionname(arg1, arg2, ..)", right?

wrong.

> I still think that separate namespaces for extensions is a good idea
> while adjusting search_path is not. I've explained my POV in details
> several messages ago in this thread...

The difference between us is that I am less inclined to be prescriptive
about such matters than you are. I think that as namespace use expands
we should also probably provide better support for adding things to the
search path (or indeed taking things away). If you don't want to use it
then don't, but I don't see why you are so insistent on denying such
facilities to others.

cheers

andrew