Re: Request from training vendor re: home page - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Request from training vendor re: home page
Date
Re: Request from training vendor re: home page  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-www
Josh Berkus wrote:
> WWW,
>
> You may or may not have noticed that we're getting a bit of jockeying for
> home page spots among our training vendors.  It's obviously not in our
> interest to have different vendors manipulating the details of their
> events announcements, or even posting duplicates, in order to "control"
> what appears on the home page.  One of the vendors involved had this
> suggestion:
>
>> Just a thought...I notice that now "training" is split out separately on
>> the PostgreSQL.org web site...which is great in the sense that
>> non-training events don't get pushed off the front page by training
>> events (or event spam...).
>>
>> I'm wondering if its possible to "somewhat equalize" things by
>> preventing a single vendor event from appearing more than once on the
>> front page.  The idea being that training vendors (which are generally
>> for-profit) would get equal opportunity for that ever-important
>> front-page exposure...
>
> Seems like a decent idea; does it make sense to other people?  How would we
> enforce it?

Well, they're ordered by date. So if two vendors have a similar number
of offerings, they should show up the same amount of time. As for
duplicates, the person approving the event is *supposed* to look for
that. Now, I realise we're all probably guilty of not always doing that,
but...

Not sure how we'd filter it otherwise, but I'm open for ideas :-)

//Magnus