Re: About PostgreSQL certification - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Chander Ganesan
Subject Re: About PostgreSQL certification
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Ivo,

Iannsp wrote:
> Hello,
> I did like to know what you think about the postgresql certifications
> provided for
>
> PostgreSQL CE
> http://www.sraoss.co.jp/postgresql-ce/news_en.html
>
> CertFirst
> http://www.certfirst.com/postgreSql.htm
>
> My question is about the validate of this certification for the clients.
> Make difference to be certified?
IMHO, the SRA certification has been around for awhile, and I believe it
has some credibility in Japan...While I'm not sure what its credibility
is like here in the US - the fact that it has credibility in Japan is a
big plus .

The CertFirst certification (examsonline.com), seems to be administered
online (as opposed to SRA's which is at a PearsonVUE test center) -
which basically means that it's open book, open note, call your friend,
copy the questions, etc.  It also seems that CertFirst runs the
certification themselves under what appears to be a shell company called
"examsonline".  It looks to be more of a marketing ploy than anything
else....

Based on the fact that they are a provider of training under the WIA act
in IL, I'd suspect that they need a certification so that they can sell
their programs to the unemployed folks that are getting free training on
the gov'ts dime.

--
Chander Ganesan
The Open Technology Group