Re: really quick multiple inserts can use COPY? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From nicky
Subject Re: really quick multiple inserts can use COPY?
Date
List pgsql-performance

Jens Schipkowski wrote:
> Thanks a lot to all for your tips.
>
> Of course, I am doing all the INSERTs using a transaction. So the cost
> per INSERT dropped from 30 ms to 3 ms.
> The improvement factor matches with the hint by Brian Hurt.
> Sorry, I forgot to mention we are using PostgreSQL 8.1.4.
> Thanks for the code snippet posted by mallah. It looks like you are
> using prepared statements, which are not available to us.
> But I will check our database access if its possible to do a
> workaround, because this looks clean and quick to me.
>
> regards
> Jens Schipkowski
>

> On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 17:53:52 +0100, Guillaume Cottenceau <gc@mnc.ch>
> wrote:
>
>> "Jens Schipkowski" <jens.schipkowski 'at' apus.co.at> writes:
>>
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> In our JAVA application we do multiple inserts to a table by data from
>>> a  Hash Map. Due to poor database access implemention - done by
>>> another  company (we got the job to enhance the software) - we cannot
>>> use prepared  statements. (We are not allowed to change code at
>>> database access!)
>>> First, we tried to fire one INSERT statement per record to insert.
>>> This  costs 3 ms per row which is to slow because normally we insert
>>> 10.000  records which results in 30.000 ms just for inserts.
>>>
>>> for(){
>>> sql = "INSERT INTO tblfoo(foo,bar)
>>> VALUES("+it.next()+","+CONST.BAR+");";
>>> }
>>
>> You should try to wrap that into a single transaction. PostgreSQL
>> waits for I/O write completion for each INSERT as it's
>> implicitely in its own transaction. Maybe the added performance
>> would be satisfactory for you.
>>

> --**
> APUS Software GmbH

>                http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

This link might be what you are looking for, it has some information
about implementing COPY in the JDBC driver. Check the reply message as
well.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2005-04/msg00134.php

Another solution might be to have Java dump the contents of the HashMap
to a CVS file and have it load through psql with COPY commands.

Good luck,

Nick