Re: File Systems Compared - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Brian Hurt
Subject Re: File Systems Compared
Date
List pgsql-performance
Luke Lonergan wrote:
Brian,

On 12/6/06 8:02 AM, "Brian Hurt" <bhurt@janestcapital.com> wrote:

These numbers are close enough to bus-saturation rates
PCIX is 1GB/s + and the memory architecture is 20GB/s+, though each CPU is
likely to obtain only 2-3GB/s.

We routinely achieve 1GB/s I/O rate on two 3Ware adapters and 2GB/s on the
Sun X4500 with ZFS.

For some reason I'd got it stuck in my head that PCI-Express maxed out at a theoretical 533 MByte/sec- at which point, getting 480 MByte/sec across it is pretty dang good.  But actually looking things up, I see that PCI-Express has a theoretical 8 Gbit/sec, or about 800Mbyte/sec.  It's PCI-X that's 533 MByte/sec.  So there's still some headroom available there.

Brian