Re: dependency on 32 bit libpq.so on 64 bit Postgres server. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: dependency on 32 bit libpq.so on 64 bit Postgres server.
Date
List pgsql-general
surabhi.ahuja wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have downloaded Postgres 8.1.4 for FC4 x86_64 bit arch. and
> installed on my m/c
>
> Earlier this machine had Postgres 8.0.0. However that time It was the
> normal 32 bit server.
>
> I build my project (which has dependency on libpq.so) and so i have
> the libraries which i copy onto the above machine.
>
> The client application then dynamically links to these libraries.
>
> However now (after upgrading Postgres server) i get this error:
>
> | 2006-11-16 10:41:50.045 | 21532:1436573184 | DMF | 0 | ERROR |
> error@dmf | DMFConcreteRepositoryCreatorFactory.cxx:77 | Ca nnot find
> library for dbexpress: libpq.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No
> such file or directory

I'm not sure this is to do with upgrading the PostgreSQL server. This
should be due to upgrading the PostgreSQL client libraries. I take it
you did both?

> my team has decided that we ll keep the Postgres server as a 64 bit
> server. But the libraries and binaries should be 32 bit ones only.
>
> I will have to rebuild my project , this time the libpq.so that i use
> will be for Postgres 8.1.4 FC 4.

I'm not sure why you would *have* to rebuild. It might make sense to
keep server and client at the same version.

> But please tell me , if i should have the 64 bit libpq.so or the 32
> bit one.

Imagine you had the client application running on a different machine
from the server. Would the server know or care whether you were running
a 32-bit or 64-bit client library? Would it even know or care if you
were running Intel or PPC?

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd