Re: On what we want to support: travel? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Chander Ganesan
Subject Re: On what we want to support: travel?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
Does Sun, by any chance, plan on getting into TPC for Sun Supported
PostgreSQL?  Alternately, perhaps one of the companies that has a
PostgreSQL based product would be willing to foot the bill so that the
community could have some nifty benchmarks...  I would think that they
could see the ROI - just by the ability to better classify PostgreSQL
among the bigger boys.  I would think that a number of corporations with
Well as JoshB said, SPI could be a member for about 1500 bucks. I don't
think TPC testing is much of the issue. CMD would be willing to sponsor
pure PostgreSQL TPC testing if done through SPI.

Hmm...I had the (perhaps mistaken) impression that the value in TPC is not so much in the meetings (which are apparently, highly political ;-) ), but rather in the benchmarks and being able to be favorably compared to other TPC benchmarked databases...no?
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.
One Copley Parkway, Suite 210
Morrisville, NC  27560
Phone: 877-258-8987/919-463-0999

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

PostgreSQL based products could benefit (from a sales perspective) from
the TPC benchmarks...especially when they come at such a low cost to
them.  I also think that they could provide some of the manpower
required for these benchmarks....