Re: On what we want to support: travel? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: On what we want to support: travel?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 11:06:29AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> provide no benefits for existing users (unlike standards bodies).   Based on
> one of these three arguments (take your pick) some PostgreSQL community
> members think that paying for PostgreSQL speaker travel to conferences with
> insufficient budget should be a very low priority (all other things being
> equal) for SPI Funds.

There's another item worth keeping in mind here.  What I'm arguing is
the above, and also that getting funds to pay for individuals' travel
might be a tough row to hoe.  If I'm a current user, what value is
there in it for me to fund various people to go off to conferences?
Whereas, to the extent it is valuable to me to make the community
product and services better, I have a reason to fund that, so I will
donate.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
"The year's penultimate month" is not in truth a good way of saying
November.
        --H.W. Fowler