Re: Updated: Compiling/Installing as a non-admin user - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ritesh Nadhani
Subject Re: Updated: Compiling/Installing as a non-admin user
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello All

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was able to configire and compile it.
I set the data directory to one of my directories, use 'initdb'
successfully. I am also able to start the pgsql and can see that it is
running on port 4444 as I had configured.

Now the problem is when I try to create a db using createdb, I get the
error:

createdb: could not connect to database postgres: FATAL:  role "ritesh"
does not exist

I am not sure what is that?

Doing a google gave me:
http://pgfoundry.org/pipermail/pgcluster-general/2006-May/000699.html

 > You must be postgres user to run this. Another option might be
passing > a user switch .

I cannot run with postgres as I dont have access and I am not sure how
to use the user switch? Any help?

I guess once I am through with this, I am successful!

Ritesh