Re: Compiling/Installing as a non-admin user - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Compiling/Installing as a non-admin user
Date
Re: Compiling/Installing as a non-admin user
List pgsql-general
Gurjeet Singh wrote:
> You are talking about /usr/local/data; so I assume that you are trying this
> on Linux or some other Nixen.
>
> You just need to use the --prefix option to configure... Here's what I
> typically do:
>
> Download/'CVS checkout' the sources. Enter the source directory, and invoke
> configure like this:
>
> ./configure --enable-debug --prefix `pwd`/db CFLAGS=-O0
>
> And the run 'make' and 'make install'. This will install the data in your
> <sources_dir>/db/data.

And then of course you'll need to remember to set your port to something
other than 5432, and tweak your PATH, PGPORT etc or define some
aliases/wrappers so you don't end up running against the default
installation. Oh, and you'll need to tweak the startup scripts and
logging configuration so you get logs somewhere useful.

I think Tom Lane has a script that lets him switch between different
installations (versions in his case). I only tend to have two versions
active at any one time, so I just define an alias for psql.
   alias psql82='/usr/local/pgsql82/bin/psql -p 5434'
On the rare occasion when I run an 8.2 createdb I need to remember to
put the port number in manually of course.

HTH
--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd