Re: adminpack and pg_catalog - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: adminpack and pg_catalog
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Neil Conway wrote:
> Why does adminpack install functions into pg_catalog? This is
> inconsistent with the rest of the contrib/ packages, not to mention the
> definition of pg_catalog itself (which ought to hold builtin object
> definitions). And as AndrewSN pointed out on IRC, it also breaks
> pg_dump.

Having pg_dump not saving the function definitions is an intended
behaviour. Actually, this was different with admin80, and restoring a
8.0 backup to a 8.1 server will throw several errors now.
I'd consider installing contrib modules as an act of installation, not
something that backup/restore should perform (finally, pg_restore isn't
able to do so, since it can't provide the dll/lib module).

Regards,
Andreas