Re: adminpack and pg_catalog - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: adminpack and pg_catalog
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 11:50 +0200, Andreas Pflug wrote:
> Having pg_dump not saving the function definitions is an intended
> behaviour.

The manual defines the pg_catalog schema as containing "the system
tables and all the built-in data types, functions, and
operators" (section 5.7.5). adminpack is none of the above, so I don't
think it should be located in pg_catalog.

> I'd consider installing contrib modules as an act of installation, not
> something that backup/restore should perform

AFAICS this is inconsistent with how every other contrib module behaves:
installing the contrib module into a database results in DDL for that
contrib module being included in pg_dump's output.

> (finally, pg_restore isn't able to do so, since it can't provide
> the dll/lib module).

This is not related to adminpack per se: pg_dump is never be able to
provide the shared object for any C language UDF. By your logic, pg_dump
shouldn't emit DDL for any such function.

-Neil