Re: Unsubscribe - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Nolan Cafferky
Subject Re: Unsubscribe
Date
List pgsql-performance
This seems to be the nearly unanimous response to people posting an unsubscribe request to the postgres mailing lists.  I emphatically agree with the argument - people should know better than that, and the information included in the e-mail headers should be more than sufficient. Every conceivable avenue of discovering how to unsubscribe, other than the list software attaching a footer on each e-mail, is available to pursue.

I also don't care about that argument in this situation. People ignorantly posting an unsubscribe to the list get this kind of response because it's an annoyance to the list users, not necessarily because we care about educating that particular person.  The posts obviously don't help future unsubscribers who aren't willing to track the information down anyway.  We should be addressing this from the standpoint of what benefits long-term list users the most. The real question is: which is more annoying to list users, the occasional unsubscribe posted to the list (with accompanying responses), or a one-line footer on each post providing a link to unsubscribe instructions?